Open Enrollment for Children Under 19
July 1 - August 14
About Open Enrollment for Children Under 19
Beginning on July 1 and ending on August 14, anyone under the age of 19 is eligible for health insurance regardless of his or her health condition. This new option for South Dakotans' children is required of insurance companies offering individual health insurance.
Not only are those children without health insurance eligible for this coverage, but those under the age of 19 who have an individual policy with an exclusionary rider can apply during open enrollment and be offered a policy without any coverage rider or exclusions.
- Must apply during open enrollment (July 1-August 14).
- Children cannot be denied coverage during open enrollment because of their health.
- Policies cannot be issued with riders or amendments during open enrollment.
- If a child currently has a policy with a rider, he or she can apply to the current company or any other to be issued coverage without a rider.
- Coverage through Medicaid, CHIP, the state or federal risk pools, or with a rider is not a reason to deny coverage.
- Reasons a child can be denied coverage:
- Has coverage through a group plan or has other creditable coverage.
- Has had coverage cancelled or lapsed within 90 days of applying.
- The premium rates can be based upon health status (within allowable guidelines).
- Effective dates of coverage during the open enrollment may be:
- The date of application.
- The first day of the month following receipt of the application.
- A date mutually agreed upon by applicant and company.
Resources for More Information
List of companies who may offer coverage during open enrollment
Flyer on open enrollment (in Adobe .pdf format*)
Fact sheet on open enrollment (in Adobe .pdf format*)
If you have questions about the program or need assistance, contact a licensed insurance agent or the Division of Insurance at 605.773.3563.
*Opening and printing Adobe .pdf files requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here as needed to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.